1. The Dardanup Art Spectacular is open to all Australian residents. Artists may enter up to a total of two individual pieces of art either in the same or separate categories. One individual piece of art cannot be submitted for two or more separate categories.
2. Dardanup residents can enter up to a total of three individual pieces of art in the same or separate categories. One individual piece of art cannot be submitted for two or more separate categories.
3. Category A – Any subject, any medium (except photography or digital prints) and can be two or three dimensional.
4. Category B – Theme – “IDENTITY”. The artist may interpret and convey the theme either as representational, metaphorical, symbolic, or abstract. Or in any other way the artist chooses (any medium, including photography or digital prints) and can be two or three dimensional. Photography addressing the theme will be awarded and judged separately.
5. Category C – PORTRAIT. This must be of a real person who is known to the artist and who was living at the time the portrait was produced. They must also have given written permission for their portrait to be entered and displayed at the Dardanup Art Spectacular (see portrait consent form here). 2D works in any media (except photography or digital prints) will be accepted.
6. Category D — PHOTOGRAPHY. All photography must be wholly the work of the Entrant. Only images that have not been published nationally can be entered. Photographic Prints must be mounted using mat board (black or white mat only) and backing board and must not exceed 40cm x 50cm, including the mount. Prints must be FIRMLY attached to the mounting (No coloured mount/or framed photos will be accepted). Please ensure mount sizing is correct as an incorrect mount may result in rejection of the work. Photography awards will be made for two sub-categories: 1. Any subject; and 2. The theme “IDENTITY”. Photographic prints addressing the theme “IDENTITY” should be entered as Category B.
7. Category E – 3-DIMENSIONAL ARTWORK. This includes sculpture, jewellery and pottery etc.
8. Entrants The Dardanup Arts Spectacular reserves the right to reproduce images of all artworks for promotional and marketing purposes.
9. Bank Details are required for payment of prizes and sales. Entry forms must be lodged electronically and require the artist’s endorsement of conditions and full payment before entry can be accepted.
10. Sale of works. All entries must be for sale (except for student artists where sale is optional).
11. Commission. Commission is 25% of the catalogue listed price. If registered for the GST, the GST component must be included. Artists must seek their own advice from the ATO if they are unsure as to whether they are liable for GST.
12. To qualify as an Emerging Dardanup artist you must:
- be a resident in the Shire of Dardanup
- have not been part of a major art exhibition in a commercial or public gallery
- you have not previously won an award in this category
- you only occasionally sell your art
- you do not teach art and you are yet to be a nationally recognised as an artist.
13. Secondary School Dardanup Artists must be of secondary school age and resident in the Dardanup Shire.
14. Primary School Dardanup Artists must be of primary school age and resident in the Dardanup Shire.
15. Number of entries. Artists may submit up to 2 entries. Artists residing in the Shire of Dardanup may submit up to 3 entries.
16. A work may be rejected (entry fee not refunded) if:
- work is not thoroughly dry
- work is not ready to hang with cord, wire and D-rings.
- free-standing work is not balanced and stable
- work is deemed unsuitable for public exhibition
- work exceeds size or weight constraints outlined in 17
- work cannot be displayed safely
- work incorporating electrical components is not certified as safe (tagged and tested)
- work is mass produced.
17. Size/Weight. Paintings, drawings and prints must be no larger than 105cm wide x 105cm high (Including frame) and suitably presented for exhibition with identification labels affixed to the back. Labels will be sent to you automatically by email when you lodge your entry form. Other works (3D works) should not be larger than 2m in any direction. Larger pieces may be accepted at the discretion of the curator. Multi-panel exhibits [diptych/triptych] must meet overall size constraints outlined above and be priced and offered for sale as a unit and clearly indicated as such on the entry form. The artist must make special provision for any artwork weighing more than 5kg and consult with the curator.
18. Insurance. All reasonable care will be taken with submitted works. The Shire of Dardanup or the Dardanup Arts Inc Organising Committee will not be responsible for loss or damage to exhibits, or for charges incurred in the delivery or return of entries. Entrants are responsible for arranging their own insurance.
Unclaimed works. All works that remain unclaimed after the closing of the exhibition become the property of Dardanup Arts Inc to be sold, or otherwise disposed of at the discretion of the Dardanup Art Spectacular Committee. Organisers are not responsible for repacking artwork for pick up.
19. Dates for 2024 (Currently to be updated still to be confirmed)
- Monday 20 March 2023 – Entries open
- Friday 14 April 2023 – Entries close 11.59pm Western Standard Time
- Tuesday 25 April (ANZAC Day) 2023: Works to be delivered to the Dardanup Hall 12noon-6pm
- Friday 19th April 2024 – Exhibition Opening Night (7pm)
- Saturday 20th April 2024 and Sunday 21st April 2024 – Exhibition in Dardanup Hall (10am-4pm)
- Sun 21st April 2024 – Works to be picked up (4pm-6pm) from Dardanup Hall. No works can be collected before closing time (5pm). Identification (and authorisation where applicable) will be required before works are released.
- Saturday 20th April 2024 and Sunday 21 April 2024: Art Trail open in the Dardanup townsite and Ferguson Valley (see individual venues in Ferguson Valley for their opening times)
20. Entry fees for artists Entry fee is nonrefundable. Entry is not confirmed until payment is received.
- Standard entry fee: $20 per piece
- Emerging artist (see 12 above): $15 per piece
- School student (see 13 and 14 above): $6 per piece
21. Selection and judges decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.